This song is for you Bro...

Monday, April 22, 2013

Being Daryl



From Reuben to All : [His exact words] 

The transformation from being Ruben Bhowmik to being Reuben Daryl was like a journey , the path had lots of twist and turns and lots of potholes and difficulties to reach my destination of being "Reuben Daryl " and the journey also had sacrifices too ! Yet I conquered it! Well, I have never written a sort of write-ups anything in my life other than writing short stories and essays way back in my school days as assignments. But, something suddenly sparked in me to write a memoir about myself and my family. People who walked into my life my life made it wonderful and those who walked out made it excellent. This memoir contains all the memories that I shared very closely with my family members beyond mom, dad and my elder sister. It’s a journey of my life seen through my eyes, seeing my family and the people around me. The journey of my life has been exciting, filled with deceit and betrayals at the same time and yet making the best out of my life so far. 

Handling my kidney disease on the other hand is another major part of my life.  Being born on June 21, 1984 makes me a cusp between two zodiac signs, Gemini and Cancer. The characteristic of Gemini has a complete effect on me, that’s versatility. This memoir would give you an insight view of the circumstances I have been through my life so far. Remember, it’s not complains that I would be mentioning, I call them “experiences” that I am sharing which are very personal that made me.  Read the memoir and you would surely get to know what it takes to be “Being Daryl”...

From Rubina To Ruben:

So now you want me to put this up? How come I end up with all the hard work and you are always relaxing? Not fair, bro... :)  But come to think of it., we always had this fight. You the lazy and me the lazier. What a pair!

I see that you have touched a lot of people in your lives. You have certainly given me something beautiful. A destination, a journey. I hope I reach the place you had asked me to go. So here we go bro... The journey starts. Stick with me or, ok no blackmailing ......



A note to all my Readers:
This journey is the journey of Reuben Bhowmik. He was a soul who touched all our lives, family and friends. Not all are good and not all are bad. But then, that is what makes him 'Daryl' - a name he chose to become. Why does a man want to leave his family name? He was very insistent on the name Daryl. When I used to ask him why he would say," Sounds good." I always took it in his face value.. or should I say voice value. [For the last two years, he was a voice for me.. A voice I would talk to for at least 10 hours a day.]

Today I found the meaning of the name.. Daryl means Beloved Loved One... 

That is all he was searching for... to love and to be loved. 

12 comments:

  1. You were always being loved and cared by one and all. Still people close to you love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ssi. His name meant 'The Loved one.' I hope he sees that he is exactly that.

      Delete
  2. Yes, Reuben was a voice for me.. A voice that always motivated me, inspired me .. The voice that made me strong when i needed to be the most... the voice i talked to whenever i could.. the voice that i wont be able to hear anymore.. but your words your teachings and most importantly your friendship will be always there.. I could not help u stay but I will never let u go off my thoughts, my prayers.. love u my friend.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vidisha,The little man was a great teacher. The only thing was he never knew or we never knew that his every word will hold so much weight. Thank you for joining me in my spread of his words.

      Delete
  3. A true fighter who never let others know about his pain and never complained.. He has a lesson to ALL - About taking life forward with all that the Mighty has kept for you. Dont sympathise, i dont think any fighter would like it.. But add some value to the bond that we all had with him.. Come forward and take an oath - Organ Donation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shoib. You have brought out the sentiment that I wanted to portray.This blog will not only be about his fight but also about the lessons learned through is fight. Please spread the word.

      Delete
  4. Miss you bro....
    You are always in our heart.....
    Love you mite...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Please keep him in your heart always and help me to spread his message of endurance and awareness everywhere.

      Delete
  5. I knew Reuben for a period of about 2 years when I worked with him in Dell's Canada Tech support. After that I moved on to a different process in Dell
    This was at a time when he was moving in and out of his dialysis regime.
    When we worked together, we used to talk about practically everything under the sun. We spoke about his condition. We spoke about his dog Xena ( I still have her pictures )
    However painful the treatment was or however weak he became, he still had the energy to smile and make others smile
    There are times even now when I remember him, especially when I believe that I am at a dead end. I think about how he had been overcoming his problems. Those thoughts make me believe that we can all handle our problems. It also makes me believe that at the end of the day, I owe my friends, family and society a smile - the way Rubes used to
    We will miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reuben always told me that there is no dead end. It is the end of one road and opening of another way. I still believe in that. His pain was always hidden by his smile. For the past 29 years. I hope I have his same strength. Thank you for your support.

      Delete
  6. There's no words that could describe Reuben's spirit,he was full of energy,
    Recall him from my training days in Dell as we were in the same batch,always cheerful & Bright.
    i still have a snap of him passing out after Half a bottle of Beer during our post certification party & i had to carry him back from the joint.
    Photography & adventure was the common thing between us & we used to chat about it for Hours.often sharing info about new places we had visited. & making new plans,
    Before i breakdown,just want to say that .
    Miss you Bro....you will always be in my heart.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Binu for sharing this. Wish I knew this before then he would have been in a whole new trouble with me:) Mind sharing the snap of his with me?

      Delete