This song is for you Bro...

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Being Born 21st June 1982


Introduction...

Birth of a child is a joyous affair. Everyone wants kids. Marriage in India is done to have kids, right? But in this we forget that it is not only the child we want, but we want  HEALTHY KIDS. Every mom should at that time needs to look after her health, take care of what she eats and not live in stress. That said and done, it also becomes imperative that if there is an inkling of doubt regarding the child's health, start researching. If the doctor has any inclination of something being wrong with the baby, then please take necessary actions. However, much it seems heartless at that point, I can assure you, no child wants to go through an ocean of pain, social sympathy and economic torture.

From Reuben...

Dear Modern Parents, 

Please take care of your kids from the day they are conceived. If you have any inclination that the child will not be 100% perfect in mind and body, then please rethink before delivering. If you think I am being cruel now, it is nothing compared to the life I have led. 

I wanted to laugh and play cricket. I could not. I wanted to ride a bike, I could not. You still don't think I need to be aborted? Well, how about this, I never could eat salt in any form all through my childhood. When my friends were getting ready for a sports day, I was busy getting hooked to an I.V. I was always having fluid retention in my body. There were day I could not walk also. All I can say is I was not given the choice whether I wanted to live like this or not.

Don't hate me too much for this suggestion. I was only 4 when I started questioning why I am different from others.  May all kids be born healthy. Love Reuben.

From Rubina...

My mother had hepatitis when she was carrying him. The doctor would not abort and she convinced my parents that nothing will happen to the child. My mother was hooked on saline for 6 months, eating only boiled food, rasgullas and sugarcane juice.... and lots and lots of saline water.

When he would ask me why he was born I could not answer him. I knew not the purpose of his birth except for the fact that I loved my bro too much. How do I know that I loved him too much? I cried every year once when the doctors would say that he is in a critical stage. I cried like that for 29 years.

Note to my readers...
I am sorry if I have made anyone sad. All I know that no child should endure what he had endured. But then this is not a tale of sadness but a tale of bravery, a constant battle between life and death.

The first time it happened, he was in an incubator.........

10 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I know someone who was conceived even though the doctors had repeatedly told he not to have a child because she had a problem. Anyway all children are a gift from god and more so the ones who are not like the rest. It is all about the fight we put up and the strength of our convictions not so much about physical and mental prowess. Wishing you the very best that life has to offer. Reuben you are special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ahana, Every child is a gift of God. His views were - was I really a gift? If so then why these needles, endless bleeding, dialysis, osteoporosis,heart attacks, loss of vision, bone crunching, nerve racking pain? What kind of gift is that?

      Delete
  2. Aapke swavav or achran sab se alag tha....main aapko kavi nahi vul sakta.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange. You created a profile recently in Reuben's name. Do I know you? Any way who ever you are.. thank you.

      Delete
  3. That darling laughing boy could be me or one of my siblings. Reuben must have been a very special baby and a fighter all along. Some religions are against abortions because such an act cancels out the very purpose of nature-giving birth to life. And it is amazing to see how many babies turn out fine despite all the odds against them before they were born. However, the fact remains that plenty of babies born with so many problems. They are still a priceless gift to this world. And since they now are now a part of our world and our awareness, it is our responsibility to embrace them, and heal their hearts with our complete love. Love you Reuben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ria, if it was anything less painful, it was understandable. But not his pain. Wait till you read further. Then you will know what I am saying.

      Delete
  4. The more I hear or read about Reuben's struggles the more I am in awe of his spirit..... He was a true fighter...... I salute his spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Anil. I want everyone to remember him as a fighter.

      Delete